Saturday, July 18, 2009

Review: Discovery - LP (* *)

(Full review at In Review Online)

Combining minds from two of the more buzzed-about new indie bands may seem like an easy recipe for success, but I think we’ve all learned that collaborations and supergroups of any variety should be approached with reservation. Having said that, I enjoy both keyboardist Rostam Batmanglij’s Vampire Weekend and singer Wes Miles’ band Ra Ra Riot, so I maintained some excitement about their new project, Discovery, though I was worried a bit when I heard the two early-release singles, “Orange Shirt” and “Osaka Loop Line.” The cheesy keyboards and layers of synthetic percussion seemed harmless and fun but not especially substantial or even very interesting, so I waited with some trepidation to hear the whole record. Now, revealed in all its auto-tuned, synth-tastic glory, LP has confirmed Discovery as one of the most baffling and unnecessary side projects in recent memory. (Continue Reading...)

0 comments: