Friday, July 31, 2009

Review: The Fiery Furnaces - I'm Going Away (* * * 1/2)

Of all the albums I’ve heard this year, none have differed from my initial impression or been more surprising than The Fiery Furnaces’ I’m Going Away. After one spin, the record was such a shock to my system I almost wrote it off and wouldn’t have cared to give it another shot had I not been reviewing it. Fortunately, on subsequent listens the charm and hooks revealed themselves to be more substantial than I had originally thought and I began to see the appeal in their newly simplified style. Whereas the sibling duo previously championed the experimental edge of the indie-pop scene, they now hearken back to their early days of more meat ‘n’ potatoes rock with a straightforward, organic instrumental approach. A curious decision perhaps, and one that indeed seemed underwhelming at first listen, but upon more careful consideration, I’m Going Away actually feels like a refreshing, if uneven, step in the right direction for the band. (Continue reading...)

0 comments: